The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: PSG have inside track to Silva
Paris Saint-Germain are working on a deal to sign Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva, according to The Times.
Barcelona also have been strongly linked with the Portugal international, who wants to leave the Etihad.
However, the Parisians are not working under the same financial issues that Barcelona are currently facing and they are confident that Silva will move to France if a fee can be agreed with City.
It is added that PSG are prepared to pay as much as €70 million for the 28-year-old, whose City contract runs until 2025.
Offering Silva improved personal terms will reportedly not be an issue for PSG, something that can’t be said of Barcelona.
The Catalans have pinned a lot of their hopes of signing Silva on the player’s preference of joining them. But the club still need to create more salary space if they are to sign any more players — Jules Kounde remains unregistered while their other four summer additions (Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen, Franck Kessie) were registered the day before last Saturday’s season opener.
As for PSG, the Ligue 1 champs so far permanently signed Vitinha, Renato Sanches, Nordi Mukiele and Nuno Mendes this summer, while bringing Hugo Ekitike on loan from Reims.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
Rob Dawson feels Erik ten Hag hasn’t been given a chance as a manager at Manchester United and explains why he’s a vulnerable target as the club’s manager.
13.49 BST: ESPN’s Rob Dawson reports that Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag still wants to sign several players before the transfer window closes, but time is running out before the deadline and he could soon find himself on thin ice if results don’t improve:
“Ten Hag has made it clear to both [CEO Richard] Arnold and [football director John] Murtough that if he’s to turn things around, he needs new players before the transfer deadline on Sept. 1. Sources have told ESPN that the club are “aligned” with his demand for more signings, but with two weeks to go before the close of the window, the clock is ticking.
“Ten Hag wants to sign Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona, while a deal for Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot has collapsed over the Frenchman’s wage demands. Ideally, he wants at least one more forward — Christian Pulisic is the latest player linked to a move, albeit on loan — another goalkeeper and a right-back as well, but he accepts the chances of having all his requests met before the end of the window are slim.
“There’s a sense from Ten Hag’s side that the club, so far, are not fulfilling their side of the bargain in terms of making changes to a squad that underperformed so miserably last season. But during conversations leading up to his appointment, it was made clear he would have to get more out of the existing players and there are concerns — small at this stage, though growing after that 4-0 defeat at Brentford — that it’s not happening.”
13.06 BST: Contract talks between Liverpool and midfielder Naby Keita have stalled, according to the Daily Mail.
Keita, 27, is out of contract at the end of the season, and is considering his future at Anfield with no new deal in the offing.
However, Liverpool do not intend to let him go this summer, and would prefer to risk losing him as a free agent next year rather than reduce the size of their squad in this window.
Keita’s former club RB Leipzig are interested in re-signing Keita, while Liverpool’s long-term plan is to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham next summer.
12.28 BST: Barcelona are considering Borussia Dortmund’s Thomas Meunier as a candidate to strengthen their options at right-back, Mundo Deportivo reports.
Barca missed out on signing defender Cesar Azpilicueta from Chelsea, with the Spain international having opted to renew his contract with the London outfit.
Barca are still in the market for an experienced right-back and Villarreal’s Juan Foyth is Barca coach Xavi’s preferred choice. But, with Villarreal unwilling to let him leave (see 09.49 BST), Barca are considering other alternatives.
Meunier has started his third season at Borussia and fits the profile Barca are looking for. The Belgium international is under contract with Borussia until June 2024.
11.53 BST: Former Chelsea and Arsenal midfielder Willian is back in London and training with Fulham, the Guardian reports.
Willian is a free agent after he terminated his contract with boyhood club Corinthians earlier this month, citing the threats and abuse he and his family received.
The 34-year-old has not held talks with Fulham, and for now is merely training with the newly-promoted Premier League side while he looks for a new club.
– Vickery: Willian’s Corinthians exit should be a lesson for Brazilian football
11.16 BST: Arsenal forward Nicolas Pepe is a target for French club Nice, the Daily Mail reports.
Pepe, 27, is Arsenal’s record signing but has struggled to live up to the £72m fee the Gunners paid Lille for him in 2019.
The Ivory Coast international started only five Premier League games last season, and is yet to make an appearance this term.
Nice want to bring Pepe in on loan, while the Mail also reports that the Ligue 1 side are trying to sign Blackburn Rovers striker Ben Brereton Diaz.
10.32 BST: Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is on the verge of joining Napoli on a season-long loan, Sky Sports reports.
Ndombele, 25, is expected to undergo a medical in Italy on Thursday to complete his transfer.
Napoli will have an option to make Ndombele’s move permanent next summer for €32.5m. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Lyon and is under contract with Spurs until June 2025.
Napoli were keen to strengthen their midfield line with Fabian Ruiz expected to join Paris Saint-Germain later this month.
09.49 BST: Villarreal coach Unai Emery is unfazed by reported interest from Barcelona in their defender Juan Foyth.
The Yellow Submarine have no interest in losing Foyth, who spent last season on loan at Tottenham from Villarreal. The Argentina international has been linked with Barcelona and is under contract with Villarreal until June 2026. Villarreal would only let Foyth go this summer if his €42m release clause is met.
“I see Foyth very happy here and grateful,” Emery said. “That gives me peace of mind. We already know the opinion of the club and the player. As for what Barcelona thinks, we don’t know.”
Emery believes there could be unwanted departures before the transfer window closes.
“That the transfer window closes on Aug. 31 doesn’t make much sense,” he said. “We are playing and the market should be closed.
“What would affect us is that unexpectedly a release clause is met or that a player thinks he can leave for an offer that interests him.”
09.07 BST: Girona are closing in on the signing of midfielder Reinier on a season-long loan from Real Madrid, Mundo Deportivo reports
Reinier, 20, returned to Madrid this summer after spending two seasons on loan at Borussia Dortmund, where he had limited playing time.
Madrid signed Reinier for €35m from Flamengo in January 2020 but he has yet to make a senior appearance for Los Blancos.
Reinier has been linked with Spanish sides Valladolid, Almeria and Serie A outfit Torino. However, Girona, back in LaLiga after a three-year absence, appear to have won the race to sign the Brazilian.
Reinier has agreed to join Girona but is awaiting the green light from Real Madrid for the deal to be completed. No option for a permanent move will be included in the deal.
08.23 BST: Wolverhampton Wanderers announced late last night that they have signed midfielder Matheus Nunes from Sporting CP in a club-record deal.
Wolves beat Premier League rivals West Ham to the Portugal international for a fee which Record reports will be an initial €45m that could rise to €50m.
Nunes, 23, scored four goals and set up five more in 50 appearances for Sporting last season.
𝐿𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑠, 𝑐𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑟𝑎, 𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏!
— Wolves (@Wolves) August 17, 2022
08.00 BST: Manchester United have enquired about a loan move for Chelsea and United States forward Christian Pulisic, sources have told ESPN’s James Olley.
United are scrambling for reinforcements after making their worst start to a Premier League season and faltering in their pursuit of several players, including Adrien Rabiot and Frenkie de Jong. Pulisic has emerged as a possible target after United contacted Chelsea to examine whether they would be willing to allow the USMNT international to leave Stamford Bridge.
Pulisic, 23, has two years remaining on his contract. According to sources, he has grown frustrated at his limited game time. He was a substitute in both Chelsea games so far this season, with appearances totalling 30 minutes. In an injury-hit campaign last term, Pulisic started just 13 Premier League games.
It is unclear whether Chelsea would allow the Pulisic to join a domestic rival, with Newcastle United also thought to be monitoring the situation, although sources have indicated they are more likely to be open to a loan move rather than a permanent transfer.
Sources also suggest Juventus have expressed an interest, while Atletico Madrid have been reportedly linked with a move for Pulisic, who is keen on securing more regular football ahead of the World Cup.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– The Independent reports that Sporting CP are offering to take Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United on a free transfer. It is unknown whether he would accept a homecoming to Lisbon as he wants to stay in the Champions League — but be at a level where he could win it.
– Manchester United are looking to bring in Lazio‘s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and have even spoken with the Serbia international’s agent, although Foot Mercato reports that an offer has not yet been made. Sources have told ESPN that United have cooled their interest in Juventus‘ Adrien Rabiot and have also targeted Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.
– Sky Sports Deutschland have stated that Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita is unhappy with his role at Anfield and could leave. He has one year left on his contract but could look to depart this summer in search of more game time, although there are currently no named clubs looking at the ex-RB Leipzig man.
– Napoli are getting closer to completing a €5m loan move for Sassuolo forward Giacomo Raspadori, with the obligation to make it permanent for €25m plus €5m in add-ons, reports Sky Sports Italia. The composition of the add-ons is yet to be decided but the aim is for everything to be formalised on Thursday ahead of a medical on Friday.
– Marseille have opened the door to Arkadiusz Milik potentially leaving the club this summer, as reported by L’Equipe. There have already been some contacts made by clubs hoping to sign the Polish striker.