Earthquake in Indonesia: An earthquake of 6.4 magnitude occurred on Tuesday (August 23) from South Sumatra, Indonesia. According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake occurred at around 10.30 pm on the southwest coast, about 50 kilometers from the province of South Sumatra. GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences said, the earthquake was at a depth of 10 kilometers. However, no casualty or heavy damage has been reported so far.
earthquake in Kuala Lumpur
On the other hand, an earthquake also occurred in Malaysia. The National Center for Seismology said a 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck 253 km northeast of Kuala Lumpur at around 8 pm local time. Here too, there has been no loss of life or property.
Know, the horror story of the earthquake in Indonesia
Let us tell you that in the 2005 earthquake on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, more than 1300 people lost their lives. Its intensity was measured at 8.6 on the Richter scale. At the same time, just a few months before this earthquake, on 26 December 2004, a 9.1 magnitude earthquake on the island of Sumatra caused havoc. More than 1 lakh 65 thousand people died in Indonesia.
Know what is called an earthquake
Earthquake is the shaking of the earth’s surface. This is due to seismic waves produced due to the sudden release of energy in the Earth’s lithosphere. Earthquake on the surface of the earth shakes the ground itself. When a major earthquake occurs, it causes a tsunami on the shore of the sea. Earthquake tremors can sometimes cause landslides and volcanoes.
These precautions should be taken in case of earthquake
- move under a table, bed or sturdy furniture during an earthquake
- Turn off electricity and gas when an earthquake occurs
- Build an earthquake resistant building.
- Make a disaster kit, in which keep the necessary paper, mobile, torch, some money
- Take training in disaster management from time to time
- hold the furniture tight to maintain balance
- When there is an earthquake, get out of the house immediately.
- Do not use the lift if in the office or elsewhere